To celebrate the Content Bureau’s 20th anniversary, we’re seeking wisdom from rock star clients whose serious B2B marketing cred, brains, and heart have always inspired us. First up: Jen Schulze.
- Name: Jen Schulze
- In: San Francisco
- Hired the Content Bureau at: SAP, SuccessFactors
- For: Enterprise tech partner marketing content
- One word to describe the Content Bureau: Family
- Best marketing asset ever produced: Comic
- Why: It was funny, easy to consume, and our Latin America marketing team used a localized version to rave reviews for more than six months!
- Biggest challenge facing B2B marketers today: Making sure that all within the company—including execs, finance—understand what digital marketing is and what it can do for the company.
- B2B marketers of the future should be: “Investigative journalists” with product marketing in order to translate the complicated into simple, consistent customer messages across all traditional marketing silos (brand, product, demand gen, field, channel, comms, etc.).
- Marketing and sales: Have flipped in importance. When’s the last time you made an expensive purchase without first researching online?
- If some extra budget fell into my lap, I’d produce: A fun animated video, or a series of casual “feet on the street” videos. B2B content doesn’t need to be serious!
- Where I go to learn: Peer networking events, as well as events sponsored by vendors and analyst firms (SiriusDecisions, IDC, Markets and Markets, etc.) I also leverage marketing blogs and marketing/strategy/leadership related articles such as those in HBR.
- Smart ask: Persona marketing data is largely demographic, but we need better behavioral data in order to deliver more-targeted content.
Smart thoughts from Jen Schulze! I always enjoy and deeply appreciate our lively conversations. Want to discuss anything here? Call me, or check out our technology marketing services.